Saturday, April 7, 2018

(UPDATED) Is National Geographic Leaving Animal Jam?

(STATEMENT FROM AJHQ AT END OF POST)

Hey guys, I kinda wish I could post about something more lighthearted today but I am kinda getting scared about something I haven't noticed until today.

It all started with this Jam a Gram:



(If you don't want your username up on my blog, tell me and I'll take it down)

For those who don't know, the TV item displays a bunch of images when clicked, one being the National Geographic logo. Curious about this, I went to Jam Mart Furniture. 



Yup. 

Oddly, the Nat Geo "Cool Banner" item is still here:



So... things are really unclear. The erasure of logos really seems to imply a shift away from a partnership with AJ.

Things are especially dramatic in Sarepia Theater:



ALL of the educational videos (minus Modern Major Kangaroo) are just gone! "Geckos" is gone, too! They've all been replaced by the CGI animations that already are being stored in the Conservation Museum theater. :(

The Conservation Museum, thankfully, has not removed any of its exhibits, and I really hope that the museum never goes away. It's the center of educational nature stuff on AJ. 

Tierney Thys and Brady Barr's theater used to have new videos regularly. Now each just has four.




What's going on!?!

The National Geographic copyright and logo is completely removed from all Animal Jam pages... except AJ Academy:




The image to the side of the page has the logo. Which is strange.

It may be important to note that the copyright is for 2016... two years ago. 

I have no clue when the science/art experiments on AJ Academy come out because they are not dated. 

I can't know whether or not Nat Geo is just providing educational content to some areas of Animal Jam, or just that the page has not been updated.

On the Nat Geo Kids website, the Animal Jam page is still up– but no longer accessible from the homepage:




All in terms of relating news, I can find is an article from early March:


"Animal Jam is a safe online playground for kids to meet new friends, but also to learn about science and the natural world," Stacey said. 

"The core fantasy behind it is you become your favorite animal and see the world through its eyes."

(Source)


Hopefully, Stacey means what he said. 

Looking up information about this, you will find a bunch of clickbait-y fear mongering YouTube videos with titles like "IZ ANIMAL JAM OVER!!!1!??"

And I'll answer that question for you...

it's not.

Animal Jam is the most successful virtual world, period. Last month it surpassed 90 million players. That's insane. I remember that little 10 Million celebration like it was yesterday...



That was 2013. And in terms of virtual worlds, that might as well have been just yesterday. It took AJ three years to get 10 million players, and only five more to multiply that by 9!

Animal Jam is incredibly successful. 

The breaking off of the partnership with Nat Geo might just be a sign of how successful they are. They no longer need the validation of a giant. 

I still sincerely hope that AJHQ will continue seeing educational content as a key component of Animal Jam. Hopefully, they may emphasize it just a little bit more.


Because without nature, Animal Jam is just Spiked Collar Simulator 2k18.

And that would get boring pretty quick.

~DoomyPanda


UPDATE

Someone in the comments section of a YouTube video emailed AJHQ about this.

Here is their response:

"- National Geographic has never been involved with funding, building, or
publishing Animal Jam. Animal Jam is wholly owned and operated by
WildWorks. 

WildWorks has partnered with a number of outside institutions to advance wildlife conservation projects, contribute to our educational materials, and endorse the game itself. We will continue to explore synergistic partnerships in the future. 

- Animal Jam continues to grow and flourish as an online community, and WildWorks will continue expanding it with new features, content, and surprises. 

Animal Jam is in no danger of shutting down or changing. As we’re demonstrating with the Packs feature, we are always looking for ways to give players MORE for their membership dollar, and there are no plans to raise prices. 

We hope you continue to enjoy our products and games. 

All the Best, 

Nicole AJHQ"

For context, this email was received about three months ago. Because I have been pretty busy these past three months, I haven't checked up on Sarepia Theater as much, but I'm assuming the deletion of the educational videos was fairly recent. I have some images on AJ Stream from early January that show a plethora of new videos. 

I guess Sarepia Theater is what I'm most upset about. It's my favorite underrated room. XD

Hopefully, the deletion of its videos is just a temporary thing. Hopefully, they come back.

Hopefully. o_o

22 comments:

  1. That's really weird! I hope nothing bad will happen! :( I hope that the educational part of AJ will stay. And hope that if Nat Geo doesn't work with them anymore it wont mean closure, But like you said it's crazy popular, So I hope it'll stay that way and not downhill. Plus Nat Geo and Aj signed a 10 year contract like last year or something.. I just hope that everything is gonna be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They signed a ten year contract? That's a good sign. Where'd you hear about that?

      Delete
    2. I think it was the daily explorer or something..

      I just looked it up and it said 2014 on the AJ Wiki.. XD but it's still has 6 more years, Plus on the Wiki it said that in 2010 they signed something and expanded it in 2014, So it may be 16 years or something!

      :D And I'm glad that AJHQ responded to that email with good news!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Whatever these changes mean, I hope nothing serious happens.

      Delete
  3. I noticed that the nat geo logo was removed from the bottom of game page too:( I hope everything is okay too. Those changes are just weird. Do brady barr and tierny thys still post on the daily explorer? (well not like post but have videos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weird stuff has been going on on the Daily Explorer. Aside from featured artwork, the blog is basically identical to their Instagram feed. Meaning, just ads, RIM's, and basic Jamaa Journal news.

      There was a "recent" News Crew article from March, with instructions for the next News Crew assignment... but no due date?

      It seems they've deleted all comments from all posts, or maybe made them all private. Plus, all posts prior to August 2014 have been deleted.

      And to answer your question, I can't seem to find any but one post by Tierney Thys, and none by Brady Barr. Which is weird, because I remember posts by Thys as recent as 2016.

      Delete
  4. Its so weird, NOOO THEY REMOVED GECKOS!!!!!! *SCREAMS* Did they remove it from the diamond shop? *checks* Oh nope they didn't, phew

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been making posts on the new release of videos to actually notice, so I'm afraid I can't help answer that either.
    However, yes, NatGeo was partnered with Animal Jam for a good long amount of time. I find the bottom a little empty now haha... I guess I'll see what changes and edit my credits a little pfft.
    I'll be sad about the Geckos though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these changes are confusing. I don't see the point in Nat Geo ceasing partnership with AJ... AJHQ hasn't even said that they have broken the partnership, though. I kinda wish they would tell us what's going on.

      Delete
  6. Does anyone remember the code "twelve"? It was in a book by Nat geo and now it is not working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It came in the first Animal Jam Insiders Guide. It used to work, and I thought it would work forever, seeing as the book will be available to buy for an unlimited period of time, but it expired for some reason. Maybe it's because a new Insiders Guide came out.

      Delete
  7. "we are looking for ways to give players MORE for their membership dollar" Rest In Piece Non-Members 2010-2018. Seriously Though, they need to stop treating nm's like garbage. IF you want them to buy membership, STOP adding new benefits, that will make them boycott and protest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, membership is AJHQ's main source of money. It kinda makes sense that they'd continuously make new member benefits. I would have an issue if they took away all-jammer benefits and made them members only, but just creating new features and making them members only is kinda reasonable. I respect your opinion, though.

      Delete
  8. Well, we seem to still have the national geographic facts in minigames, however

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roblox is better. You can make money from making Roblox games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh... I don't know much about Roblox, but profit doesn't always equal fun.

      Delete
  10. this is so sad! i also heard they don't work with Jazzwares anymore! its kinda depressing... animal jam isn't what it used to be :C

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I am like exactly 2 years late but I quit AJ like a month after 2018 started and I just returned recently for the free membership offer. I got a TV and noticed it wasn't there and I noticed National Geographic copyright wasn't there either. I really wanted to know if it was just not with AJ anymore or what. If you manage to see my comment, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^