Thursday, December 6, 2018

New Owl Theory

Hey Jammers! There was a half-update today that brought us some new stuff.

I should have known when I first looked at the Jamaaliday home page that that weird owl was going to be the next new animal:


I wouldn't say that the release of this new owl was necessarily a loss, but because it's basically a repeat of a species, I can't really say that it's much of a gain. 

Although, when you compare this owl with the original owl...


...the new owl actually looks a bit nicer! It's more realistically proportioned, and somehow even fluffier.

When I was thinking about why this owl was released, I was initially annoyed that we had yet another species rerelease. But when I thought more about it, it began to seem like a good decision somehow.

Here's my theory: People at AJHQ were annoyed with how cartoony the normal owls look, and they wanted to redesign them without replacing the old owls outright.

This wasn't about releasing a new species– both of the owls might as well be Great Horned Owls with different amounts of realism. This was about discreetly replacing the old owl.

Looking through the animal catalog in the Diamond Shop, I can't find the original owl:




(Please comment if owls are actually still available for gems right now, I can't check because my animal slots are full)

If AJHQ just secretly replaced an animal, no wonder this update was quick and hushed! It may be the first time an animal was released on a half-update with barely any warning.

I think this was a good decision. I like how the new owl looks, and I hope AJHQ continues a pattern of more realism in new animals. 

If you look at the original animals (wolf, panda, tiger, monkey, bunny, koala), they're all drawn fairly realistically. I've missed that a lot in newer animals like the lynx/sabertooth/direwolf/etc.

Moving on, it's time to talk about today's Jamaaliday Gift. Like daily items, I don't really talk about Jamaaliday Gifts unless I think they're very different and interesting. Biased, I know, but I'd rather talk about items that I think will have a significant impact. That's just the way AJ Stream goes. 

With that in mind, here's the daily gift which I have deemed as interesting:


A nonmember Aviator Hat!!!

I'm not a big fan of the colors, but it's a NONMEMBER Aviator Hat!!! I always thought these looked the best on pandas, so I'm very happy I get to fulfill my wish to wear one. :')

In related news, here's a PSA to all my fellow nonmember friends:


If you're like me and can't log on every day, at least remember to log in on DECEMBER 14 and DECEMBER 20 to get 2 Masterpiece Tokens!

Before I go, here's three things; one big, one medium, and one small.

Small thing:


This cute crocodile plushie I spotted in someone's trade list.

Medium thing:


Just one day after my brother saying that he'll only play AJ this month if there's a new winter den, AJHQ has announced one in the works. Nice!

Big thing:

IDEAS FOR ANIMAL JAM 2019

Just a random idea that came to me halfway through writing this post.

What if, during this last month of 2018, we all worked together to come up with some ideas for new features/adventures/lands/events, etc. that should come out in 2019?

Then, on the night before January 1st, I can compile them all into one big post that AJHQ will hopefully see and steal from! ^-^

I'll make an official post about this in a day or two so you can start commenting your ideas. What do you guys think? :D

See you in Jamaa!!!

13 comments:

  1. I love the new owls so much! And I'm really happy that there's been no repeat items in the advent calender this year.. Well so far. And it's really nice how NMs get to own a special variant of a member item though the advent calender as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were there repeat items in the calendar in previous years??? I don't remember, but that would be really annoying

      And thanks for commenting, Talloose! :)

      Delete
  2. My irl BFF has a old owl, she plays as that animal a lot because she thinks that the old ones will become “rare”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, a lot of animals have mysteriously left the Diamond Shop. Though I don't think it would be a good idea to have a feature that lets you trade your animals like items XD

      Delete
  3. i kind of don't like the new owls as the graphics don't look very nice with it.
    anyway, its a good theory!!
    -licia144

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda agree that they aren't perfect, I think the eyes are a little small

      Delete
  4. I was happy about the aviator hat too, IT'S SO AMAZING AND IT'S NONMEMBER! YAS! Anyway... Owls. Eh. That's all the update got us. Hehehehe... :D They're cool, though. I need to remember to check Masterpiece Token days on my alt accounts. :3

    That's weird you can't say Animal Jam Stream btw, hm.

    Lastly, you're looking for a gecko banner? How much are they worth? (I know it says it online, but that's not as reliable as it could be :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gecko banners are pretty rare– they're close to legitimately being beta items (last available late 2010, unavailable in The Forgotten Desert).

      I personally don't think any item has any actual worth– it all depends on what someone is willing to accept in a trade for one, and it varies.

      For instance, on the AJ Item Worth Wiki (which people unfortunately take seriously), it says a Gecko Banner is worth a "good long wrist". Never mind the fact that spiked things are about as un-rare as you can get. It's all judgment!

      There are sooooo many issues with the spike currency system. A black long collar is considered the rarest, but it's statistically the most common!

      I think I ranted about this before, so ima end this comment right here lol

      Delete
  5. The owls do look more realistic which is nice. But they are literally like the other owls with just like a bigger body... I don't like the repeat of animal species

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But oh my gosh that crocodile plushie looks so cute!

      Delete
    2. I did some research an apparently that crocodile plushie was available at some McDonalds in Mexico. It kinda made me sad reading about that; merchandise at a fast food chain just seems so far from what AJ should be about. :\

      Still, that crocodile plush IS pretty cute. Maybe I wouldn't go to McDonalds to get one from the source, but I'd trade for one given the opportunity

      Delete
  6. They did something similar about horses in Play Wild! too, they added in the Arabian ones and removed the normal ones. If I recall correctly normal horses in Animal Jam are travelling? I might be mistaken for another animal though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a some suggestions for new 2019 AJ updates! I have an animal, pet, and adventure: sheep, pet tigers, and an adventure about Liza (she is my favorite alpha!). The adventure could be like, you are trying to save the panda heartstone by searching for a safe place for it, and then at the end there could be a HUGE phantom fight to protect the heartstone because the phantoms followed you! Then, when you put the stone in a safe place, all of the pandas that were defeated by the phantoms could come, (because at the beginning Liza would explain that a LOT of pandas have been defeated by the phantoms so you need to save the heartstone) the alphas would appear, and becuase the adventure would be SUPER hard, all of the prizes could be non member rims! Sorry for the long idea, but after writing SO many stories in my life, ideas just kind of come to me as I write! I hope you send that email to AJHQ, and if you do please include my adventure idea! Thx! :);):D

    -Bookgirl10

    ReplyDelete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^