Friday, April 19, 2013

Art Tips (Unrelated to AJ)

   Hello again jammers! I've noticed that art and drawing is pretty big on AJ, and a couple of days I saw someone in Jamaa talking about how bad their art was. I decided to make this post because of that, and also because I'm struggling as an artist as well. 

These are tips you should remember while drawing, painting, or making any kind of visual art. 

1. Practice. Take your time. I wanted to draw eyes better one day, and practiced a lot; drawing eyeballs all over my things and papers, watching tutorials, and soon I significantly improved from when I started.

2. There is no such thing as "badly drawn." It can be said that it needs improvement, but only by the artist. If you're just drawing whatever you want, (free drawing) no one other than yourself can say it is badly drawn. The words "bad" and "good" don't go by one specific set of guidelines. They are matters of personal opinion. Something can seem bad to someone, but that doesn't make it universally bad. It can only be seen as anything definitive to the artist.

3. Anyone can be an artist. You don't have to be "good" at art. You don't need to do art officially as a job. All you need is to put thought into your art, and have passion creating it.

4. You do not need to draw realistically. Drawing realistically is nice, and it captures real life. Drawing in your own style however, takes the viewer into another dimension and makes them think. 

5. Start simple. This is the utmost important rule when creating art of all kinds. Visual, written, theatrical, etc. No artists, great or unknown, have their first ever painting be amazing, famous, brilliant, unusual, or eye-catching. They all start small. They all start their art with practicing and perfecting circles, painting fruit, and learning techniques along the way that are the key to creating amazing masterpieces. 

To summarize, before trying out dragons, start with fruit. Paint the fruit. Paint it again. And again and again, until you are 100% happy with it. Practice drawing the fruit when you can, memorize how you mix and use the colors to create the effect of the texture. If you're confused, have someone mentor you, or watch/read a tutorial. 

Don't worry aspiring artists, if you take time, you will succeed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for the tips! My dad draws a lot, and I always wonder how he draws so good. I tried to draw a horse the other day, and totally failed. It kind of upset me, and I didn't think I would try to draw one again. But I think I will now. Like you said, practice is everything! :)

    ReplyDelete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^