Saturday, February 17, 2018

Balloosh: A Land of Mystery (I was right!)

Hey Jammers! As I had predicted in a previous update post about the River's Heart, an interesting new land has opened up in just the place I thought it would!

It is not the Amazon River-style place I thought it would be, but that could be expected. We already have the Temple of Zios, after all! 

Let's welcome the wetlands of Balloosh to our map:



When you first arrive, you'll notice this land's style is a lot darker than many of the others– bigger, too. It may remind you more of a new party than a land on its own. Consequently, the Journey Book is a bit more challenging– but that makes it a lot more fun!



As I've done with lands before, I won't explicitly give you the locations of all the animals of the Journey Book. I know that it's typically the role of AJ bloggers and YouTubers to do that, but in my opinion, it's more fun to explore unguided. What's a scavenger hunt if you know where everything is already? :D



While I was searching for Journey Book animals, I made some friends and we helped each other out. I wouldn't have been able to meet them if I just quickly ran through the Journey Book, would I? ^_^

However, I will show you the prize that awaits you at the finish line, simply because it's so unusual.

Are you ready?

Here ya go:



Surprisingly, er... un-swampy. But at least it's nonmember and lavender-colored– two good things! :)

I wonder if there's any specific reason why AJHQ chose a moon design. I've seen items like this before in Jam Mart Furniture, but they've all been members only. Hmm...



As for the name, it's easy to see why a lot of people were confused. What does Balloosh mean? 

We know Balloosh is a wetland in Jamaa, based loosely off of the Florida everglades. However, it's not the name of a real world place, nor is it translatable to another language, like some lands in Jamaa are. 

The way I see it, it might be just a combination of words that sound swampy. I think it's a mix of "bayou" and "galoshes". Do any of you have an idea?


I wonder if there are any future plans for the Heartstone. Heartstones imply animals, so perhaps a new animal is in our midst.

I wonder who they could be...


In other news, Jamaa is celebrating Polar Bear Day on the 27th! Yay!!! That's a week or two away, so Polar Bear Day is now Polar Bear Week. Or Polar Bear Year. They're very important in their ecosystems, so we should always be celebrating them. :)

Click around Jamaa to learn about polar bears, their habitats, and the climate change that threatens not only them, but us. We must all stand together in support of one another, human or otherwise.

I think AJ animal-celebrations like this would be more popular if a banner item came out to commemorate the event, like Cat Banners or Gecko Banners.

That's all the news I have for you today, Jammers, so I guess it's time for...


~ Creature Feature! ~

In honor of the new land, I thought I'd feature an animal from there. I know last time was a frog, but this time...


It's a toad! There's a difference, you know. XD

The toad photo in the fun fact card was just so magnificent that I needed to talk a little about them. Toads live in a variety of habitats– in fact, I'm pretty sure you can find toads anywhere except Antarctica. 

Contrary to popular belief, as well as this fun fact card, toads are not actually covered in warts. Their skin is just naturally bumpy! :D


Toads can be less comfortable in the water than frogs are; their feet aren't webbed, and they are less streamlined than their semiaquatic cousins, but toads still like moisture. You might see them playing along shallow riverbanks, basking in the mud, and when it's cold or dry outside, they will dig themselves burrows into the richer soil warmed by the Earth's core.

This brings me to my next point: toad houses!


If you have an old flower pot lying around, and you think you might have some special toad neighbors, you can give them a sturdy shelter. Half-bury a sideways flower pot in some soil, ideally in an area surrounded by taller plants or shrubs so the toads feel safe.

I hope I see some toads this Spring. Do you? :D

See you in Jamaa!

~DoomyPanda

4 comments:

  1. (When I saw the sneakpeak for the update I was like DOOMY WAS RIGHT :OOOO)

    Ooh! That reminds me of the sun window and.. the other window in the den shop!
    This update was super small, but super big at the same time XD There was only technically one piece of content, but that piece was super big!(literally)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought that, too! There are a lot of window items in Jam Mart Furniture... I wonder why AJHQ didn't just decide to release the Moon Window alongside them– or better yet, for a Rare Item Monday. I think it would get more positive attention if it was a RIM.

      It's funny that one item can be received in different ways if it's released differently. Hmm...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Every time I thought there'd be a new land, I always turned to that lil corner of the map... to no avail. I feel like I'm gloating a little, but I am definitely happy I was right for once. XD

      Delete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^