Sunday, July 11, 2021

Theory about the Council Day Banner

Hey Jammers, sorry about being gone without notice for over two weeks! 

My motivation kind of comes in bursts. Some days I feel motivated enough to do one thing but not another, some days I feel motivated to do yet another thing but not anything else, but most days I feel too unmotivated to do anything but what I absolutely need to do. ^^;

So aside from all of the being-too-exhausted, I've just been following those random bursts of motivation and getting other things done! ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Still, my goal for this summer (as it has been for years.. :P) is to get into more of a regular posting rhythm– like at least a few times a week. The way I run this blog now, it seems like a lofty goal, but I swear it can happen! 

Now, you might have noticed that I pretty much never talk about new items unless I really like them, so that makes regular posting a bit difficult. 

That's why I'm introducing a new series/format of post that makes sense to write a few times a week: Clearance Corner! In Clearance Corner posts, I'll go over all the items on clearance on that day. 

The first Clearance Corner post will be... the post after this one! Only because I still have to add a few finishing touches to the graphic that will go along with each post. 

–––

For this post, I thought it might instead be a good time to talk about this thing you either have no idea about, or just completely forgot about: the Council Day Banner. 

This is a screenshot you can find in an Animal Jam Stream post from July 1st, 2012. This item is what is now known and sold as the Freedom Day Banner, but for a couple years it was called the Council Day Banner for reasons unknown... until now, because I think I finally have a pretty good theory behind the name!

Perhaps you might find this interesting, because my theory about the Council Day Banner involves a potential piece of scrapped game lore...

You know how in Animal Jam, real-world Western holidays are given imaginary, game-specific names? Like Jamaalidays, Friendship Day, and Freedom Day?

Well, from my research, it seems that Council Day is also not a real holiday. Even though the banner's release coincided with the first mention of 'Freedom Day' on Animal Jam, I believe that Council Day was the original name proposed for Freedom Day.

Freedom Day has always been Animal Jam's most vague holiday– what does 'freedom' mean, anyway? On the other hand, the name 'Council Day' implies something more specific than just 'Freedom Day', which is why I have reason to believe that it referred to a piece of scrapped lore. 

But first, here's some background:

The 4th of July (known as Freedom Day on AJ) marks another year past since the signing of the United States' Declaration of Independence, which was done by a committee of people who agreed on the terms of the United States' independence from Britain. 

Committee means pretty much the same thing as council

If the history of the 4th of July was translated into Animal Jam lore... perhaps Council Day could have referred to a gathering of animals in Jamaa, coming together to negotiate with (or stand against) the phantoms?

I think this is the case. Both the old lore and the new lore involve all species of Jamaa coming together to resist the phantoms taking over Jamaa, so a piece of scrapped lore about a council of animals that came together to fight back would make sense.

HOWEVER... if this was a piece of scrapped AJ 4th of July lore, I also understand why it was scrapped. Having a story about animals coming together to fight an evil dark force on the 4th of July would be overly USA-centric and a big misrepresentation of history!

Still, I think Council Day would have been a fun and original lore-based celebration for Animal Jam– as long as it was something completely separate from the 4th of July, if course. C:

–––

Let me know what you think about this theory in the comments! I got some cookies to go bake...

See you in Jamaa! ^.^

New signature coming soon cuz I've been a nonmember for years and don't wear those items anymore :3c

8 comments:

  1. I, for one, really don't like that it's called "freedom" day. It's only freedom from England.
    Nothing about the Native Americans that got massacred or the slaves or the women who are still seen as "lesser" to this DAY or the LGBTQIA+ community or even the left-handers! (I bet they still got switched to their right hand back then, I mean heck, it's called the RIGHT hand)
    There's still no freedom to this day! I can't bring a girlfriend home (as a girl) and my brother can't use his real name and true pronouns.
    -River
    (Also if you couldn't tell from the stuff about left-handers, it's me, julieblap
    (I just like River

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super true 😔

      Thanks for this comment. The deeper you go into history, the more you might notice that the 'oppression' that colonists dealt with under British rule was honestly nothing compared to what Native Americans and enslaved people had to face each day under oppression by colonists. And as you said, not enough has changed since then– 'freedom' still doesn't fully extend to a lot of people in the USA.

      Delete
  2. I love this theory! I always saw that Council Banner around Jamaa (and I might've had one at some point as well), but I don't think I ever knew what it was called. Freedom Banner does ring a bell though..

    Anyways, I love your council idea too! I could see where AJHQ was going with "Freedom Day" for 4th of July, but it doesn't really make sense (at least in Animal Jam terms) when you sit down and think about it..

    And lore is such an underrated topic of interest in the AJ community I feel! There are so many stories and theories and backstories and items that make the game so unique C:

    ~popcorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! Yeah, the Freedom Banner was only called Council Day Banner for a year or two before the name switched. I've always been curious about the reasons behind a lot of things like this that AJHQ has done...

      Lore is one of the main reasons why I love AJ Classic so much. It just gives the game a boost of spirit and uniqueness <3

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of an unreleased den item called the Council Member Plaque (https://animaljam.fandom.com/wiki/Council_Member_Plaque). It's basically just a golden Jambassador Plaque, and I think it was added to the files sometime around June or July 2018. Sometimes I wonder what purpose the den item was supposed to serve, but now that you bring up the naming history of the Freedom Banner, I think the Council Member Plaque further supports the theory that there was originally supposed to be a "Council Day" event on the game. It's possible that the plaque could have been rewarded to those who were successfully elected to the council or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I had no idea about that! It adds much more to the mystery, because there was such a big time gap between the Council Day Banner and this plaque. Hmm...

      Delete
  4. I always thought that Freedom Day was oddly patriotic pfft, I think it sounds more patriotic than "Council Day", but it might be all the freedom memes my American friends sent me.

    That said, AJHQ could have changed it to September, when it was released for public, IIRC, kind of like Jamaa's own independence day of sorts! So it coincides with the birthday and gives it a little bit of lore!

    Though I suppose that'll leave the 4th of July hanging... hm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Adding an extra bit of lore to AJ's September birthday would be so fun. I wish that'd happen

      Delete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^