Sunday, March 21, 2021

Tutorial: Making a Transparent Image of Your Animal (Easy)

Hey Jammers! I didn't think I'd be writing here again so soon after that giant previous post, but I'm back. With a quick one!

Something I realized recently is a way to really easily get a transparent image of your AJ animal, so I thought I'd share in case any of you looking to make image edits would appreciate it ^-^

Alright, step one:

Go to a Small House Den and locate the big empty patch of grass circled above. Notice how it's just solid green without anything else? Think of this like your green screen. 

Move your animal into the area circled above, and take a screenshot! Try to leave out any blades of grass or bits of your name tag, just to make things easier.

Step two:

Now that you have a completely solid background around your animal, it will be really easy to use whatever image editing tool you have at hand to remove the background. 

Most editing tools have a tool that lets you instantly remove a color from the background. Some examples:

• If you use a Mac, on Preview that tool is called Instant Alpha (or Magic Wand), and you just click on the solid green background to select it, and then press delete.

• If you use the software GIMP, you'll look for the Color Select tool, select the green, click Edit in the toolbar and select the Clear button.

• If you use Photoshop, that tool is called Magic Eraser, and you can find it by right-clicking on the normal eraser tool. The same idea applies.

• And if by chance you don't have any image editing software, the free online tool online-image-editor.com has a Transparency tool that works the exact same way! I've used this site a bunch of times to edit graphics for my blog.

Step three:

And now, you have a pretty good transparent image of your AJ animal with very little effort! Yeehaw. If you accidentally got bits of your name tag in the image, at this point it will be easy to go in with a normal eraser tool and remove them.

You can also use that solid green patch of grass with any den items or pets you have C:


I hope this lil tutorial can be helpful in your image editing adventures!!

See you in Jamaa~

Sig edited with help from Dogo :)

21 comments:

  1. I love this post streak, Doomy! X)

    And WOW was this helpful. I always wondered how people did it so effortlessly... now I know! :D

    Thanks for posting this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Popcorn!! I'm glad you found it useful ^_^

      Delete
    2. Oh and Doomy! AJHQ recently released nm, plain grass tiles in the diamond shop for 1 diamond!! You can tile them up against your den floor, so now you don't even have to find an exact spot in your den :) Just thought it would be cool to know!

      Delete
    3. Ayy that makes it even easier! Great to know

      Delete
    4. Hallo Doomy :) I cannot seem to find the transparency tool you explain for the online image editor website D: Can you help me?

      Delete
    5. Hola Popcorn :3 You can find it if you click the Advanced tab!

      There's three tabs near the top once you upload your image to that site. The first one is called Basic, then there's Advanced, and then Animation. Just click Advanced and there will be an icon with an eraser and the word Trans-parency underneath it.

      Also, for the Online Image Editor, I just tested it and you may need to click a bunch of times to remove all of the green spots, but in general it will still turn out pretty alright if you don't click too much or too little :D The undo button is your friend

      Delete
    6. Pixlr Art has it do! Just go to cutout (once you have your picture in hehe) and click the 'magic cutout' tool. It's difficult to use so you might use the 'lasso cutout' tool if you don't have a transparent background. Yes, the undo button sure is a good friend XP

      Delete
    7. Thank you, Doomy! (Ooh, and Dogo :)

      Also, I had a question: is it ok if I kind of "continue" your naming plushie series? It was such a cute idea, and I've got way too many plushies that I have no idea what to do with p: And I'd give you creds for the idea obvi XP

      Delete
    8. Of course you can, Blossom! I think it could be a silly and lighthearted topic for anyone to try =)
      (Maybe it could become like one of those tag games, like "what do you imagine these plushies should be named?" and then it gets spread around so you see a bunch of different interpretations :P)

      I'll definitely end up continuing my own plushie naming series because it's fun, but it's ok if we end up having different ideas about the names X)
      Looking forward to your post!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, Doomy!! I wanna make a signature, but I DIDNT HAVE ANY WAY HOW TO!!! Thanks again!!!!

    Hugs,
    vai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, a young child on Animal Jam: Eraser tool on MS Paint.
    This is the tactic I deploy every time haha. Use the green solid looking patch in dens! Then they released the winter dens and I thought, "Perfect! This might be all a single while so it'll be easier!"
    Well, not quite if your character has colours close to the snow, but regardless I didn't know about that editing function on Mac, so thank you, Doomy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad this could help :D

      Yeah I used to never use Preview for editing, but I've found that the Magic Wand tool can be surprisingly helpful

      Delete
  4. Ok, wow, I had no idea that there was an area in the small house! I always used any old patch of grass in the small house and put the sensitivity lower in the wand. Then I hoped that I wouldn't mess up the graphic too badly. But now I know there's a big green patch I can use - and it's nonmember!

    Thanks for writing this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Wild! ^_^

      I'm actually super glad that this post was helpful. Sometimes I look at my blog and feel like a lot of my posts are too highly specific/niche to be of interest, but I'm glad it seems there's some useful stuff in there!

      Delete
  5. I edited your signature a little bit more, Doomy but on the post I'm discussing a tough topic so it's still not published lol

    ~Dogo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Don't worry, take your time c:

      Delete
    2. I made my OWN new signature XP

      Delete
  6. this is really useful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yooo, I might actually give this a go! It would sure help with my art. Thanks for the tips! :D
    -Gogreen16

    ReplyDelete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^