Monday, March 1, 2021

Who's That Animal? #1 - The Kakapo

 Hey Jammers! Woooo~, it's been a stressful and confusing few days. Still, I wanna get a post out to y'all because this blog and everyone who reads it make me happy C:

Today we will begin... identifying and learning about the animals in the paintings at Gabby Wild's Animal Hospital!


Gabby Wild's Animal Hospital is one of the three locations where you can watch videos about wildlife, the other two being Dr. Brady Barr's Laboratory and Tierney Thys' Aquarium. 


Sarepia Theater also used to house a library of videos from Nat Geo, but since both Nat Geo and Animal Jam agreed to part ways a few years back, all that remains are a few instructional videos from AJHQ, along with the re-done version of the classic Geckos! video. And there's also Modern Major Kangaroo, but we don't talk about that here...

Hopefully there will come a time when new wildlife videos arrive in Sarepia Theater... but until then, we can take our popcorn to Brady Barr, Tierney Thys, or in the case of today, Gabby Wild! c:


So, originally I set out to write this as a basic kind of post, where I would just identify the different interesting animal species depicted in the paintings around Gabby Wild's Animal Hospital. 

However, I got really into researching and writing about this one bird. I believe all of the animals deserve that kind of spotlight, so this will be a series of posts! We'll go in-depth and learn about each of these animals that you might normally just pass by, one post at a time. 

AND! Because many of these animals are endangered, I'll provide links to places where, if you're able to, you can donate towards their conservation.

Let's begin!
This is a kind of parrot, as you might suspect. But this isn't just any parrot...

Photo credit to Joel Sartore, Nat Geo Photo Ark
This is the incredibly unique bundle of joy and wonder known as the kākāpō!  

They are very large and curious birds with strong legs and flightless wings. Their mottled yellow-green feathers match the vibrant mosses of their island homes tucked away off the coast of New Zealand. While they have a diverse diet of plants, fruit, seeds, pollen, and sapwood, the kākāpō have been observed to especially enjoy the fruit of the rimu tree. 

And for some reason, kākāpō naturally smell like honey, and can live up to 100 years!!!

Through history, they have also been observed to preserve certain fruits by dropping them into small pools of water and keeping them there for the summer– a practice which is said to have taught the native people of New Zealand to do the same thing.

While this bird is beautiful and sweet, the story of the kākāpō is riddled with pain. Ever since humans arrived on their islands, they have been relentlessly hunted and targeted, with the vast majority of their homes being destroyed by human agriculture. 

Kākāpō used to live throughout New Zealand, but are now completely extinct on the mainland. The very few 206 who remain alive are currently doing their best to survive, hidden away in the leaves of only three small islands. 

 Increased conservation efforts have been essential in supporting the gradual recovery of the kākāpō. If you wish to support the kākāpō, you can donate towards their conservation here. 

(That link goes to the official Kākāpō Recovery Program donate page at globalwildlife.org)


I bet you didn't think that fuzzy little painting had that kind of story behind it, right? 

I think I've written about the kākāpō here before, but I wanted to mention them again because they're the animal who inspired this series to begin with. 

I hope you enjoyed this post! Over time, I'll be coming out with at least eight more in this series, as that's the amount of animal paintings you can find in Gabby Wild's Animal Hospital. Not all at once, of course– I'll be breaking them up with other topics like the ones I mentioned in the previous post.

See you in Jamaa!

P.S. Big thanks to Dogo for making the borders of my signature transparent!

21 comments:

  1. Hi I responded to your comment on AJC! This blog is incredible, you've been going for nine years. Have you been the only author? If so I'm sure you've got the record for the most consistent AJ blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pumaa!! I'm so glad you like my blog, you're way too kind :')

      For a while in 2017, guest authors Starxlynn and Kimberely082 would post, but yeah for the most part it's been me!

      Though I'd have to say, the most consistent AJ blogger has probably been Rainbow000Pegasus. She's posted nearly every day for years! Check out her blog: rainbow000pegasus.wordpress.com

      Delete
  2. YAY! Doomy posted!

    AH I love this series idea! I lot of these beautiful, endangered animals can get overshadowed, so I think this is such a nice idea!

    The kākāpō is such an interesting bird! That's really cool, how they taught the natives of New Zealand tha trick. You can learn so many things from animals I feel like.

    Unfortunately, out of the 6 years I've played Animal Jam, I'm pretty ashamed of saying I only ever visited Gabby's Animal Hospital twice. I really should go back there more... o.O

    And also, thanks for adding places where we can help/donate! I think this is such a great idea (again) and I'm so excited for the posts to come!! :')

    ~popcorn

    P.S. Yay, my first comment streak is on a roll! Unless someone's comment is still being moderated uwu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Popcorn commented! X)

      Yeah, I loved that little fun fact! While it mostly comes from Maori legend, I can believe it because there are a lot of animals who preserve their own food. For instance, a small rodent called the American pika dries plants in the sun so they can preserve them in their burrows through the winter. Animals are definitely very wise, and it's cool how scientists are learning new things about them every day :)

      Haha don't worry, Gabby's Animal Hospital is pretty out of the way! I don't go there much either. It can be fun to watch the medical roleplays that happen there, though xD

      And I so appreciate the supportive words, Popcorn <3

      Delete
  3. Hi DoomyPanda,I did not know these facts about the kakapo. Thanks for teaching me. I also left 2 comments on your DO NOT BUY VIRTUAL GAME ITEMS POST Thanks,
    Princess Brightstar an AJ player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Princess Brightstar!! It's cool to see a new commenter.

      For some reason, I don't think the comments you left on that post came through! Sorry about that, I don't know why this happens sometimes D:

      Delete
  4. Hi,DoomyPanda. Don't forget to view my blog. And add it to the blog list.
    - Princess Brightstar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! When I get around to updating the blogroll, I'll make sure to add yours :)

      Delete
  5. Right now I'm realizing how bad the borders of the signatures look against this tan background-
    I'll try to fix it :")

    I'm making a really big scammer post that took like 2 hours to make but I think it's going to be worth it, Doomy! I expose 3 scammers and it's the longest scammer post I'm ever going to make. If I never get back on Animal Jam. GOSH DON'T THINK NEGATIVE THOUGHTS DOGO-

    ...

    ok I'm good now

    Oh gosh, the modern major kangaroo is probably the 2nd most annoying video in Animal Jam, and taking first place is the gecko song. They bring nostalgia when I think about the videos though xD

    kākāpō sounds like cockapoo, which is another type of bird that has a white crest. It's my mom's favorite bird lol!

    ~Dogo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey don't worry! It looks better than it did before, and I'm honored that you took it upon yourself to help out and edit it ^-^

      I'll be sure to check out that post when it's done!

      And I agree... I have some silly fond AJ memories with the Geckos! video, but I have no patience for modern major kangaroo lol

      I remember reading somewhere that kākāpō is actually pronounced kar-ka-po, but now I'm not too sure because I can't find that pronunciation anywhere else. Hmm..

      Delete
  6. Modern Major Kangaroo... he song that genuinely HURTS! I had a good laugh about Geckos! with my friend who introduced me to AJ, mainly because one day randomly (pre-COVID) at lunch, she would NOT STOP SINGING IT.

    Geckos, geckos, geckos, geckos! Geckos, geckos, geckos. Geckos, geckos, geckos, geckos, geckos, geckos...
    (And yes I sang it while typing it)

    And who knew the whole long story behind a tiny, almost invisible painting in a practically-abandoned building in the almost-forgotten land of Kimbara Outback? My favorite part was the part about the New Zealand people learning tricks from the kākāpō.

    But it's really sad that we've been kind of destroying the planet - and the kākāpō. Only 206 are left...

    And also, you won my art raffle but I fell asleep in the middle of typing the post because ESSAYS DRAIN MY LIFE FORCE FROM EVERY CELL IN MY BODY. But congrats!!! I'll try to have the post out today...

    ~Wild

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I can't wait to see your post, but take your time-- essays are exhausting ^^

      The small population of kākāpō is very sad, but thankfully the population has been slowly increasing due to the efforts of the Kākāpō Recovery Program!

      Delete
  7. Ah I've watched Modern Major Kangaroo like once and never again. I barely remember anything about it, I think it was super speedy or something and gets faster and faster?
    That said, I really appreciate you referring people onto my blog haha, I think this blog is the reason why I have viewers pfft.

    I tend to forget the kakapo exist, since 1) the name is too similar to the cockatoo and b) I don't know birds much.
    I think I saw a snippet of a documentary with the kakapo on BBC Earth a few weeks back though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I'm always impressed by your work and I want other people to appreciate it too <3

      And I love watching video clips of the kakapo, they're so precious and interesting

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Doomy, you'll never guess what I just did...

      I COLLECTED 1.000 DAISIES :OOOOOOOOO

      Hugs,
      vai


      P.S: Could you tell me if the intro I posted is good XD

      Delete
    2. WOW that's a lotta daisies :O

      And that intro is really fun and unique! I love the "What are we watching? / I can't hear youuu!!" xD
      Thanks for letting me know about it!

      Delete
    3. Lol thanks, and np!!! <3

      Delete
  9. Help. DOomy. I. need. Help.
    So, you know the whole "I'm switching blogs! Surpriseeee!!!" thing with popcorn? Well, ya know in the "HAppier - By Marshmallow" song, the part when he says
    "Then only for a minute
    I want to change my mind
    'Cause this just don't feel right to me
    I wanna raise your spirits
    I want to see you smile but
    Know that means I'll have to leave"?
    Well, I changed the lyrics...
    "Then only for a minute
    I want you to change your mind
    'Cause this just don't feel right to me
    I wanna raise your spirits
    I want to see you smile but
    Know that means It'll have to leave"
    Yup. That's how I feel. I feel like I'm acting rude, but I'm actually just crying. I wanna not tell anyone how I feel, but I might get sick if I hold all that out, and my mom will wonder why I cant open my eyes xD
    Atleast I laughed. It sounded like this: "waaaaaaHAHAHAHwaaaaa!!!!" lol xd
    So, um, it would be nice to get some comfort :)

    Hugs,
    vai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Vai :( The AJ Daily has so many great posts on its Blogger version and has already got a great community going-- it's hard to move a community over to a different platform. I'm pretty attached to the Blogger AJ Daily too, so you're not alone in that ^^;

      Though, I see it as Popcorn trying new things to see if Wix might be a platform that fits her better. I'm not sure if the layout of Wix is always the best for blogs, especially blogs like these which involve a lot of community building, so if Popcorn feels like it's not working out, she may come back to the simpler layout of Blogger

      Delete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^