Thursday, April 22, 2021

Happy Earth Day 2021!

 Hey Jammers! I still have work to do so this is just going to be a quick post today, but I thought it was needed because of what day it is today c:


Yes... today, April 22nd, is National Jelly Bean Day. 

Wait, no– 

Well, yeah, it is National Jelly Bean Day... but it's also Earth Day, and that's a lot more exciting :D (to me anyway!)

> photo credit to NASA <

I just love the Earth. Aside from the obvious reasons, isn't it so pretty? Isn't it such a miracle that our planet is so full of life when most planets have none at all?

That's part of why it's so important to protect it. Life is fragile, and we all have to do what we can to support each other– humans, plants, animals, everyone. 

While reducing pollution and waste is incredibly important, it's kind of a cliche at this point that it's usually the only thing that gets talked about during Earth Day. 

For today, what I wanted to use this short post to focus on is the idea of unity. You as an individual are part of the vast web of beautiful ecosystems that make up our precious planet– you're just as much a part of nature as a beetle, a flower, a crystal, or a cheetah. 

> photo credit to Gil Wizen <

A lot of destruction and terrible things have happened to our planet. There are many convoluted reasons that corporations use to justify tearing up the land and causing untold millions of animals and plants to loose their homes and go extinct... 

But ultimately, I think a lot of this destruction happens because we believe that humans are somehow separate from the rest of nature. Separate from the consequences of our actions, and separate from our dependence on the wellbeing of all other beings on Earth. Separate from the wellbeing of each other.

But the impacts of climate change are showing people that our actions do matter. The fact that human-caused pollution has caused devastating wildfires, storms, and heatwaves to become dramatically more frequent is only proof of our being a part of nature– and proof that we, as a member of nature, are aggressively not doing our part. 

...but also, remember when air quality became so much better early on during the pandemic because people weren't driving, flying, or operating factories as much? That's proof that if enough of us do our part, we can make things so much better. 

We might feel separated from the world within our four walls, but I want you to know that you're never alone. You're never isolated. There is life all around you, and every plant and animal has their own perspective– their own story to tell. You do too, and your feelings matter.

Humans are animals like any other– and that is not a derogatory thing. That's a beautiful thing, because it means we're not alone in this world. 

I hope you enjoyed this emotional post and I hope that you have a wonderful Earth Day today– or just a wonderful day in general, however you choose to spend it c:

If you would like some ideas for how you can help the environment on a day-to-day basis, or if you want to start making an environmental new year's resolution (ayyy I just came up with that), I made a few fun informational posts in 2018 that have some easy green ideas in them:

> Earth Week post #1 <

> Earth Week post #2 <

> Earth Week post #3 <

> Earth Week post #4 <

> Earth Week post #5 <

I'd completely forgotten that I'd made these, but I think you might like them! I used Animal Jam screenshots to act out the different ideas :)

Until next time...


Happy Earth Day, and see you in Jamaa!

16 comments:

  1. Ahh, this post is so sweet, Doomy!

    GAH, I completely forgot about Earth Day! I had a big post planned for it, and it just slipped my mind! I guess I'll post a late one this weekend ?

    But I agree with all of your points in this post, and I like the way you think about our planet! I love seeing posts like this, where people share their perspectives on what they think we could do better, what we're doing wrong, and how we can come together to fix those wrongs!

    Like you said: there are the posts about pollution and toxic waste, and there are posts like yours, that share all of the thoughts each of us have about saving our beautiful, fragile planet!

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Doomy! C:

    ~popcorn

    P.S. I think I may have just published a post with your finished edit! (I say "may" because sometimes Blogger likes to get smart and unpublish my posts *eyeroll*) I hope you like it c:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Popcorn!! Your comments are always the absolute sweetest T^T

      Blogger unpublishes your posts?? That's so annoying.. I hope that hasn't happened to me at any point without my knowledge haha ^^;

      Delete
  2. Happy Earth Day! :D

    I totally agree with this post. Sometimes I'll find myself thinking, "what have we done to all these animals", and then I'll have to remind myself that we're also animals and that we're also suffering for our mistakes. This post kind of reminded me of that - I forget when I saw this on your blog - but I remember something like "Eco and not Ego".

    I drew (and watercolored) a picture of a bunny and some flowers today and hung it on my wall. A nice reminder of Earth Day 2021... maybe I'll draw one of my new CS Earth Day Pets for a digital celebration.

    Thank you for writing this post. 🌎

    ~Wild

    P.S. I love that screenshot at the end XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I love the ego vs. eco image. I think I put that in another emotional post I wrote back in June 2020.

      A bunny and some flowers!! That's a sweet spring-y image. I see a lot of wild bunnies and flowers in my backyard these days. I also saw a raccoon yesterday :3 even though that's unrelated hehe

      The Earth Day CS pets look really cool. I'm normally picky about adopting pets on CS but I think these ones are too pretty to pass up <3

      Thank YOU for commenting, Wild C:

      Delete
    2. You saw a RACCOON? The second most cutest animal, second to only the opossum?
      Agh you're so lucky, once I saw three fighting in my front yard
      Sometimes in rains and ducks swim in the puddles
      Birds are everywhere, especially at four in the morning (curse yoooouuu 4:00 birds
      A fox has shown up a few times
      A fat robin regular visits us

      Delete
    3. YES they were adorable and surprisingly chill! It was before sunset too– the only other two times I've seen raccoons has been at night :0

      On one of those times I was at a park/trail at night and I saw a whole family of raccoons coming down from a tree!! It was special to me– especially because I saw a fox on the same day X)

      Ducks and other birds are wonderful too <3 I love how ducks in particular are around in every season where I am ^^

      Thanks for sharing about the animals that visit you!! It's something I always love to hear about :3

      Delete
    4. Actually, today a hawk was eating a bird right on our back porch! It was awesome.
      It wasn't the fat robin, maybe a dove?

      Delete
  3. Nestle is a horrid company. They steal water, pollute the Earth, kill babies, and enslave children. I boycott them as best I can

    Also have you seen opossums?

    And for Earth Day, I went fully vegan for the day! (It's really hard for me, I usually just eat bread and nothing and I'm always hungry)
    I'm working on cutting meat out of my diet.
    -Julieblap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nestle is one of the absolute worst >.< I'm glad you boycott them where you can– I do my best and do the same. It's incredibly messed up.

      I haven't seen an opossum where I live now BUT I did see an opossum at night one time when visiting my grandparents. It was amazing, I love opossums <3

      And that's so awesome! =)
      It's also good to get enough nutrients if you can– with cutting out meat especially, it's a good idea to increase different protein sources (like tofu, beans, lentils, chickpeas, vegan meat substitutes, etc.).

      But anyways, I support you in your endeavors! Cutting out meat is a great long-term goal, and it will probably take a while for it to become easy, so you don't need to get discouraged <3

      Delete
    2. I do try and eat more vegan foods but once I ate a veggie plate that tasted like nothing, no seasoning at all, just boiled for 30 minutes

      Delete
    3. Yeah that's annoying haha. It's important to season food no matter what you're eating xD

      Delete
  4. DOOMY HELP I GOT NO VIEWS TODAYYYY

    THE WORLD HATES ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHH PPL THINK I QUIT FROM MY WEEK-LONG BREAK SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH

    ;-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No its ok!! No one hates you, and I think if it says you got 0 views it's a glitch because I literally looked at your blog today lol

      Delete
  5. Aaaaaa happy earth dayy!!!!
    I was actually thinking of doing an Earth Week myself before I saw this post ;-;
    Would it be OK???

    ReplyDelete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^