Saturday, May 22, 2021

Take Responsibility, WildWorks

Hey Jammers! Eeee... I know I have a big line-up of post ideas that I want to write, but new stuff keeps coming up and it's hard to know what to focus on >.<

I wasn't originally planning on posting today because I feel kinda sick, but Popcorn called something to my attention lately that I strongly feel should be addressed. It's not a nice topic, but I'm hoping that every effort to spread the word counts toward putting pressure on AJHQ to do the right thing. 

So, there was a period of time earlier this week that I was considering writing a post on internet safety. I know; not the most interesting topic, but it's something important to me so I had thought it might be good to repeat.

However, it's also important to know that internet safety shouldn't just be all on you. With content aimed at all ages, adults need to do their part to make sure the online spaces they facilitate are safe for everyone. 

I'm writing this post because WildWorks has not fully been taking responsibility for the actions of certain users who may be compromising the safety and wellbeing of others. The full situation may be triggering for some of you, so I'm choosing to leave out all inappropriate details and focus mostly on AJHQ's response. 

So, even separate from this more recent situation, Hyenine1's art has always shown that AJHQ is very inconsistent when it comes to approving Masterpieces. 

Even though people have gotten their own Masterpieces banned for really small reasons...

...Hyenine1 has gotten tons of Masterpieces approved that, while detailed, can be pretty borderline inappropriate for a kids game. 

AJHQ's Masterpiece approval rules also aren't that clearly defined:


It seems it's mostly up to the personal decisions of individual moderators... but the Animal Jam rules also need to be considered:

Many people think that AJHQ is playing favorites with Hyenine1's work and is bending the rules, just because it's detailed looking and Hyenine1 is well-known. Meanwhile, less well-known artists get their work rejected for seemingly no reason...

Likewise, tons of people get banned or put on Bubble Chat for seemingly no reason. Without going into detail, this reflects the current situation with this person– from what I've read, there is plenty of in-game evidence to ban Hyenine1's account before things escalate even further, BUT WildWorks is holding back on it because they imply there isn't enough evidence.

Here's the most direct statement AJHQ has made so far:

All of these are fair points. 

But from what I know, plenty of other Jammers get banned because of little to no evidence and don't know why..?

If those instances aren't all glitches in the game, then given that logic, AJHQ should ban Hyenine1's account just to be safe. 

But they're not... which isn't fair, and isn't smart. I know AJ is an important part of my life and it may be a big part of yours, but having your account banned is not as bad as the consequences that are already unfolding. 

People are leaving the game because they don't feel safe, people who may have been hurt are feeling silenced, and it just isn't good for the Animal Jam community at large. 

I know with issues like this, it's sometimes difficult to figure out what actually happened and what actions AJHQ is really taking, so I'm not going to say I 100% know everything. However, AJHQ should not be bending rules with some people just because they're well-known in the community. 

I want to stand with everyone who has been hurt by people involved in this, and everyone who has been impacted by similar things in their life. It's hurtful when spaces that should be safe end up causing pain. 

No matter what, I'm here for you.

14 comments:

  1. THANK YOU, DOOMY.

    I was shocked and disappointed to know that the majority of people didn't know the extremity of the current situation(s) going on with WildWorks. And it wasn't that difficult to figure out that the "Don't be a Drama Llama" post was just a desperate attempt to cover up Hyenine's dirt.

    I am happy to point out the a few of the current jambassadors ARE speaking up, but a few are also completely ignoring (or at least not acknowledging) the disaster, really.

    I have a lot of opinions on this whole situation, but some that would probably be unpopular to a couple of jammers (COUGH certain jambassadors COUGH), though.

    But I'm extremely thankful that someone decided to speak up about this, especially with a platform as big as yours, Doomy!

    ~popcorn 🐢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I first saw the "don't be a drama llama" I didn't know what it was about, but once I learned the context I just felt so disappointed :(

      Thank YOU for telling me about this issue over on your blog! I rarely watch AJ-related YouTube, so I'm honestly living under a rock when it comes to Jambassador/well-known Jammer controversies. I wouldn't have known about this without you!

      Also! Something I learned while researching this post: according to Ellipsity, Jambassadors are actually not allowed to talk about things that would make WildWorks look bad. It's an actual agreement they have to make before becoming Jambassadors. I can understand why a company would want to do that, but yeah... it really doesn't help the situation.

      Thank you, Popcorn <3 my platform isn't as big as other YouTube channels that have talked about this issue, but I wanna do what I can to speak up about important things like this.

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU DOOMY! I actually saw a lot of his masterpieces in AJ play wild and the volley ball one at an art gallery in AJ classic. I can't believe I actually 💛 the volley ball one.🤢🤢🤢 I was considering moving to Fer.al because of the lack of chat restrictions, but now that I think about it,I will continue to speak up for the AJ community, and hopefully there will be less restrictions in the future.
    -princess brightstar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unfortunate that Hyenine1's problematic art can be found everywhere on AJ... things really need to change. I'm glad you're gonna keep speaking up for the community!

      Delete
  3. Dear lamps. The moment I saw that title I knew it was Hyenine1. I truly hate him.
    On a related note:
    Someone had a pro-cop wall on Animal Jam, in the Pillow Room. I invited them to have a debate about it in my den. They said that their opinion of needing cops was a fact, and then I brought up the points: they roughhoused an old lady where I am, they plant drugs in black teens backpacks to arrest them, and they follow people like my brother on the street because of why he dresses. (He has an eye condition and needs to wear sunglasses.) Just because someone looks a certain way DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY'RE UP TO NO GOOD. They said that maybe he WAS up to no good and I asked why. Because why would he add more pain to the world? He already went through a path of pain just to come out as trans. He has to feel bad every day because my parents deadname him. The person called him a girl and my sister, and I locked them out, reported and blocked. Not much can make me actually feel more than little glimpses but I was shaking a little and about to cry and SO ANGRY.
    I'm not telling him this. He goes through enough when my parents yell his dead name and say that they raised two girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart goes out to you and your brother... I'm so sorry you both have been faced with so much trauma in your lives. I know from experience that it can take so much courage to get through each day, when everything feels wrong and it's so hard to find the support you need..

      People don't understand how much their ignorance genuinely hurts people, so I truly commend you for stepping up and debating that person in the Pillow Room. It may have felt frustrating, like talking to a brick wall who doesn't want to accept reality, but I promise you that it's so important for ignorant opinions to be challenged like that.

      You made an impact, and even though that person responded in a really awful and hurtful way, they're one step closer to questioning their beliefs. The fact that they resorted to being rude and awful means that they didn't know how to respond, because they knew that they didn't actually have evidence to back up their opinion.

      I've been in similar situations where I'm fighting tears trying to debate people because they don't understand what they're saying is hurtful, so I truly empathize with you. You're always welcome here <3

      Delete
  4. I'm really happy you addressed this problem! These issues are pretty heavy and aren't very fun to talk about, especially for a simple games about animals. While a company isn't perfect, I'm REALLY hoping WildWorks does something about this, and if they don't... well, things might get out of hand pretty fast. They need to stop showing favoritism to big artists like Hyenine, and most importantly take the steps towards creating a safe and friendly environment.
    Anyway, great post! I look forward to seeing more from you! ^^
    -Gogreen16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Green! Yeah.. I also wish it could just stay a simple animal game without any of the bad stuff >.<

      Thanks for commenting <3

      Delete
  5. I think that the more inappropriate stuff happening in this game that is reported, the more restrictions there are put on wildworks games.
    Still, I think this jammer should be banned for what they said to a buddy of theirs and the for some of the under age jammers that might get a bad reputation of masterpieces. I am happy for the bloggers out there that are speaking up for whats right.
    Princess bright star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. Animal Jam's stricter chat filter was likely the result of a whole bunch of reports... a bunch of years ago before it became stricter, I remember it was possible to say pretty much anything as long as you censored it. And of course, that's really not a good idea for a kids game ^^;

      Delete
  6. Some things I have noticed about animal jam games are that there are not many pets in the game that are the exact same kind of animal as the animals available for purchase in the game. This is probably to prevent inappropriate role plays. Another thing I have noticed is you can say the word "Disney" in aj classic which is probably because aj used to be in association with National Geographic which is also owned by Disney.
    Also I have noticed that ever since worth wiki have been created, jammers have been pushy with what they want for their items (which is very rude in my opinion because a new payer might want a headdress for their tiger plushie but the player that they are trading with might want something else.)
    Another thing is that many masterpieces or ideas get read over but do not get post on their blog or passed down to their developers (I sent them a pet masterpiece of what I remembered to be a puppy and they ignored it 😡 I tried my best on that one.)
    I really think that AJHQ likes to take favorites now that you bloggers mentioned it.
    - Princess brightstar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda noticed that too! Though over time it seems as AJHQ ran lower on ideas for pets, they started putting out pet pandas, pet foxes, pet penguins, etc. Kind of an odd concept, but I can't blame them?

      Wow I didn't know Nat Geo was owned by Disney. Or maybe I used to know and forgot? Either way, that's kinda interesting :0

      I kind of agree about the worth wiki... how exactly can people decide what an item is universally worth without actually knowing how much of that item is really in the game? I think the idea behind the worth wiki was to make trading simpler, but I think it also ended up making things more complicated :\

      Yeah it sometimes confuses me why AJ's player base can come up with so many cool suggestions but the way AJC and AJPW get updated makes it feel like AJHQ is out of ideas. Maybe they're just lower on resources? Hopefully that changes at some point...
      And sorry about your Masterpiece, I'm sure it was really cool <3

      Delete
  7. I want to know, this guy ur talking about, are his mp like Explicitly inappropriate or just mildly offensive? NO DETAILS PLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there wasn't anything explicit, just pretty weird that they'd got past moderation. On a scale of 1 to 10 of inappropriate-ness, maybe like a 5.5 or 6?

      Delete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^