Friday, June 4, 2021

An Actually Interesting AJ Classic Update

Heyyy Jammers! While I trimmed the difficult parts down as much as I could, the last post was about a rather heavy topic. I think it's still an important issue to discuss, but for now I think we can take a break... because for once, there's some good news:

A genuinely good AJ Classic update.

(gasp emote)

It's not the best thing in the world, of course– just a small step in the right direction for AJHQ. Still, it was enough to pull me away from all my other plans so I can post about it! 

Maybe you've already noticed this, but I've really held off on reviewing updates for over a year now because they just haven't been that interesting. 

But I'm happy to say that that changes today!!

While there are two main highlights I think are particularly interesting, I'm gonna go in order of the Jamaa Journal pages cuz I think there are little good things in each as well c:

So first up, we got a Wild Weekend featuring some coding related items! Not my favorite items, but coding can be a good skill to have. If I knew how to code, my blog would be looking a whole lot better than it does right now X)

What's good about this item set is that it seems to be all new, at least! Even though I don't think I'll ever get used to this minimalist style, some artists are doing their best to add new AJ items to the game.

I probably mentioned this before here, but I'll bring it up again because me and a buddy were talking about this recently: my theory behind the big art style shift in items. So, since Fer.al began production, I think that most if not all item design for AJ Classic may have been outsourced to other studios that might be struggling to adjust to the Animal Jam art style. That could explain the minimalism as well as the cautious re-colors of clothing items that keep getting released instead of entirely new ones. 

Either that, or WildWorks is just stretched thin and low on resources :\
Could be both!

But anyways, moving on...

We got this thing too! Looks alright, but don't worry– we haven't gotten to the best parts of this update yet... 

Aaaaand, now–

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!

So much is on AJPW that just never makes its way to Animal Jam Classic, so I was happily surprised when I learned that another den item design contest was finally coming back.

One of the best parts about this is that ten contest entries will win. Ten!!! Ten people get to see their art become a part of Animal Jam!! :D

And as a reminder, only five winners were chosen for the AJPW clothing item contest. You know, maybe this has to do with the fact that Animal Jam has been around for ten years while AJPW has been around for five... HMMM....

But anyway, I love that creepy purple chair(?) thing. It's absolutely nightmarish and I would never ever wanna sit on it xD

I bet it lives in the same dimension as Blinky, the WildWorks mascot :D


In the past, some really nice AJ items have come from contests:

Cleverclaw's Dresser, designed by Miss Cleverclaw in April 2012...

Speedywolf's Seahorse, designed by Awesome Speedywolf in May 2012...

And the Mira Waterfall, designed by Princess Fierywolf in June 2015. So far, these are all the den items designed by Jammers, and I can't wait for there to be more! 

...and oh yeah, I'm definitely entering >:)

Moving on, the next cool thing:

A never-before-done plushie scavenger hunt through AJ! Probably inspired by all those plushie hunts that people do in their dens for prizes. 

Along with being a nice lil throwback to the fun-fact Spring egg hunt that used to happen from 2011 to 2014–

–the fact that Epic Plushies are being made fully available brings up more than a little trading weirdness.

I'll show you what I mean:


On the left is the Epic Panda Plushie as you can now find it through the scavenger hunt. The Item Worth Wiki views it as not being worth much, because of course you can buy it through the scavenger hunt. 

On the right, however, is the Rare Epic Panda Plushie on the Item Worth Wiki– the original Epic Plushie release with the same exact design, and the only differences being the added rare tag and the dramatically higher "worth".

I say "worth" in quotations because as I've talked about before, the Item Worth Wiki doesn't accurately show item worth– the editors don't have access to the real number of these in the game, so everyone's just guessing. 

This seems to be AJHQ's attempt at keeping traders happy by maintaining the rare status of their pre-existing Epic Plushies, but technically, the same exact item is now easily available without trading... will people really keep viewing Rare Epic Plushies as rare when the non-rare ones are exactly the same?

This reminds me of a conundrum some people deal with on another game I play:


On Chicken Smoothie, these two are the same exact kind of pet and both have the same level of rarity. However, the original is from 2008 while the other is a re-release from only a few years ago. Some people view the "true date" pets as rarer than the rereleases and will trade accordingly, but many people don't see a difference cuz they're just the same pets.

Here's a feature that might make AJ's trading system less messy: on Chicken Smoothie, each pet's rarity tag is calculated by the real number of that pet owned by active players. Popularity/demand also effects trading, of course, but what if AJ items had real, accurate rarity tags based on the true number of existing items?

Alright, I know how ugly those example tags look xD
Maybe adding extra tags would end up looking too busy. But I think it might make trading easier. It might also completely turn trading around as people realize how common Spiked stuff really is in the game...

Let me know what you think about this idea! 

Anyway, moving on...

Next up, the Rainbow Raccoon has returned this month as it did back in June 2020! Presumably as a small nod to Pride Month :)

And finally, pet elephants! Not much to say about this, but they are cute. 

Whoooo... it's a little after 1AM where I am right now, and I have no idea how long I've been working on this post.

I'm gonna go to sleep now, but before I do, here's something you might find cool:

Up until around 2016, snowyclaw would update an archival blog for the Jamaa Journal! For this post, I turned to it to find the original drawings for Cleverclaw's Dresser and Speedywolf's Seahorse. 

If you want a blast from the past, or you just want to enjoy looking at how cute the Jamaa Journal used to be before it became the Jamaa Wood Slab, click here to go to snowyclaw's Jamaa Journal archive!

Alright. I'm done with this post. See you in Jamaa!

P.S. It might take a while, but I'm still making progress on the upcoming color palette post! 

17 comments:

  1. I had a throwback of 2010-2015 AJ with this update. I haven't played in ages and used to blog about the game. Just sad how much the blogging community has died but times move on I guess. Miss those days of AJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, this was also a throwback for me..
      I do miss the days when AJ blogs were the center of the Animal Jam community, but I guess it makes sense that people would branch out onto other platforms after a while. It's a lot tougher to get viewers/commenters for a blog than it is to get viewers/commenters on YouTube, just because of how the sites are structured.

      But even though AJ blogging isn't super popular anymore, I'm still really really happy with the lil community that's formed around my blog and others =)

      Delete
    2. Yes I agree. The days of Animal Jam Spirit, hundreds and thousands of comments on each post. Just crazy how much the blogging community has declined. But mind you, even AJ social media has in general. Everything seems less engaged than the old days.

      This is due to WildWorks clearly no running two massive games which resulted in a split between Animal Jam and Feral. And Classic isn't going to get anything hugely new. I always thought 5 years on AJ Classic would be so much different... guess you can't predict the future. I imagined the game would have tons of new features.

      Delete
    3. I haven't played in ages either. Feel old. Definitely miss going through 100+ blogs :/ and hate calling the game Classic.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this update!
    I must say, though, that one thing I'm never doing is buying anything from Animal Jam. With Hyenine1, and the unmoderated voice chat feature in Fer.al, I simply refuse to purchase anything from them.
    -Julieblap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not gonna buy anything from them either >.<
      Wait, unmoderated voice chat? I know other 13+ games have that, but it still seems unnecessary and potentially risky for Fer.al...

      Delete
  3. Ahaha, we made similar posts! I didn't really pay attention to the other updates.. OOPS. I'm also really excited about AJ's contest! First off, we actually got a contest in general (YAY), and now we get a promised 10 new den items C: By far the best update in 2021 so far. I think I'm going to enter, but AJ probably won't be able to tell what my item is.. I'm not as *ahem ahem* SKILLED at art xD

    And I had no idea AJ did this kind of contest before until you showed me those pictures! I think it's pretty cool to see where those items originated C:

    I think the AJSASS recently made a post about the rarity changes between the Epic Plushies and Sidekix Plushies if you would like to read it (it might clear up some confusion hehe)

    I can't WAITT for your color palette post!!

    ~popcorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially learned about the update through your post, actually!! I agree, Popcorn-- best update of 2021 so far. Let's hope things keep getting even better from here :D

      Aw I'm sure you'll design something nice! Personally, I think "good" art is just anything that the artist has fun making :)

      And I'm glad you liked seeing the origins of those items! I was on AJ during that time, but I don't remember exactly if I entered into the first couple item contests.. I know I entered the 2015 one though.

      I'll go check that AJSASS post out now, thanks for sharing ^^

      Delete
  4. Hi Doomy, I think Roblox is chat unmoderated because it's basically run by kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played Roblox, but I can imagine lol

      Delete
    2. I play Roblox C:
      I played yesterday.

      -

      Roblox IS Chat Moderated because whenever you type something and it shows up in tags, (###) it's them trying to block the message/part of it. Sometimes they get on your nerves, but they do block stuff like, "come to my house" or,"1234" (for sharing addresses), so they are useful.

      Roblox is also a game for slightly older kids (they don't block chat swear words.) There are so many games with disturbing pictures that Roblox approves. Then again, Roblox also doesn't approve a lot of disturbing pictures that we don't know about.

      Anyway, there are a lot of fun games on Roblox like Adopt Me or Club Roblox. The worst thing on Roblox is probably the scamming, not the chat. You see, there is a currency in the game called Robux, which you have to pay real money to get. If you have enough Robux, you can buy premium, a better avatar, and stuff in other games (in Roblox). People will make scam games to steal robux from you. An example is: Adopt Me! New Update! 90K players are playing and there are a 86% like rating. Do you trust? Okay. How about MEGA NEON DRAGON, UNICORN, AND GIRAFFE COME NOW! 8 players are playing and there is a 34% like rating. Do you trust? No. A lot of these scam games get deleted fast.

      Another problem is that the game is often swarmed by bots, so they stop this by making a long trial of stupid pictures. "Which pictures have a road? (True one I saw)" "Click on the picture that the dices match" etc etc. They try but a lot of times they over-estimate a lot of players' abilities.

      Anyway, Roblox IS chat moderated and a lot of their scam games get deleted, so it's a pretty fun game and I enjoy it.

      ~Dogo

      P.S. lOnG cOmMeNt yEyYyYy

      Delete
    3. I wish Roblox's chat was unrestricted but observed by HUMAN chat moderators because in Adopt Me I tried naming my dog: Carmel the Golden Retriever and everything was # out except for a few words which really stunk. So Roblox is over all OK but I has a terrible chat moderation system.
      P.S: I might make a post about COPPA soon and how it over restricts games.

      Delete
  5. @somebody Sorry I can't publish your comment cuz of language, but I hope AJ runs better for you when you log in again! My computer isn't the best either, sometimes I can't play Fer.al for more than 5 min without it crashing lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. noooooooooooo i'm a worse Fer.al player >-<

      Delete
  6. I'm pretty pumped about this update too! I'm excitd! The contest, the scavenger hunt...! I love everything about it!
    I didn't know the Mira Fountain was a user made item, I love that item loads, so that's very cool to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way!! This update was a really nice uplifting surprise :D

      The Mira Fountain is a really really cool item... it's detailed, pretty, and big enough to be member's only, but it's nonmember! I wonder why AJHQ didn't call it something like "Fierywolf's Mira Fountain" like the other user-designed items.

      Delete
    2. I wonder too! Give the user proper credit where it's due, AJHQ!

      Delete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^