Thursday, June 17, 2021

The Random Animal Design Challenge

Hey Jammers! Here I am again, finally with the color palette post I started working on so long ago. I started doubting if this would actually be fun pretty early on, so I hope it was worth the wait >.<

But anyway, lets get this post started!

Welcome to the Random Animal Design Challenge! I came up with this idea while trying (and failing) to settle on a new color scheme for my panda.

This version involves counting up the number of letters in your animal name, username, and a few other non-personal-info things to create an AJ animal design that is totally unique! Perfect for anyone who's indecisive, anyone who's bored, or anyone who just wants to look like a Falling Phantoms bot:

Unfortunately, this first version of the Random Animal Design Challenge will only work for land animals because I was really stuck on how to adapt it for underwater animals. You see, underwater animals have different kinds of patterns and eye shapes available than land animals (who also have some variation of their own) so it was pretty hard for me to figure out...

However, you can randomly design any AJ animal by using a random number generator like this one that can get each random number value for you. Just change the max number to 50 for the first two main colors, 8 (or however many eye shape options you have) for the eye shape, 50 for the eye color, 12 or however many pattern options you have for the pattern shape, and 50 again for the pattern color c:

Now let's start this challenge!

Step 1: Finding the first main color.


To find your animal's first main color, figure out these things:

- The number of characters in your username (example: DoomyPanda has 10 characters)

- The number of letters in your animal's name (example: Countess Spookypanda has 19 letters)

- The number of your birth month out of 12 (example: November is considered the 11th month of the year, so my number here would be 11.)

After you've written those numbers down, add them all up and then subtract 10 from the answer like this:

(# of characters in username + # of letters in animal name + birth month) – 10 = your first main color number

As an example, this is what I get:

(10 + 19 + 11) – 10 = 30

For my first main color, my number is 30! Finding it on the color chart at the very top of this post, my first main color is this:

 

...which also happens to be the default panda color somehow :0

Step 2: Finding the second main color.

To find your animal's second main color, either add or subtract the number of letters in your animal name from your first main color number. You can try both adding and subtracting to see which result you like the look of better.

your first main color number + or – the number of letters in your animal name = your second main color number

This is what I got:

30 + 19 = 49.

NOTE: If the number you get for your second main color number is over 50, just subtract 50 from it like this:

The number you got that is over 50 – 50 = your second main color number.

And if you end up with a negative number, just add 50 to it. 

Step 3: Finding the eye shape.

Finding your eye shape will be a bit easier. Just decide which color of this rainbow you like best, and that color's number will determine which of the following will be your eye shape:
(NOTE: I started with the circular black eye as #1 because it is the default eye on most animals.)

Green is my favorite color, so my panda's eyes look like this now:


Step 4: Finding the eye color.

For your eye color, take the number of characters in your username and either add or subtract them from your second main color number. Again, you can try both adding and subtracting and just choose the eye color you like better c:

your second main color number + or – the number of characters in your username = your eye color

Here's my example:

49 + 10 = 59
59 – 50 = 9.

Once again, if your number ends up being over 50, just subtract 50 from it like I did to get your final eye color number! 

And if you end up with a negative number, just add 50 to it.


My panda's eye color is now a dark navy blue.

Step 5: Finding the pattern shape.

You're almost done! For the pattern shape, all you need is the number of your birth month out of 12. That means that my panda gets the crescent moon pattern.

And finally...

Step 6: Finding the pattern color.


To find the pattern color, take your birth month number and add or subtract it from your eye color number.

your eye color number + or – the number of your birth month out of 12 = your pattern color

For me, that would be:

9 + 11 = 20.


And now we have the final result! Very random looking indeed, but maybe it can be a starting point for a cool animal look :3

I hope this challenge was at least kind of fun for you! And if not, that's okay too. This wouldn't be the first silly post I've put way too much effort into xD


Before I go, I just realized that it's June 17th today– exactly 9 years since my first post. Sometimes I feel self-conscious about the fact that I've stayed an Animal Jam blogger for that long, but honestly it's been nothing but fun. I regret nothing! Writing posts for Animal Jam Stream has been such an important anchor for me through all these chaotic years, and I so deeply appreciate this small yet wonderful community that makes it all possible <3

Thank you all so much!

And until next time...

See you in Jamaa!

7 comments:

  1. DOOMY.

    THIS IS SO COOL. I LOVED the way you set it up, where it's completely randomized so you don't spend like 2 hours pondering on a color combination.

    Happy 9 years as well! That's an amazing accomplishment, to have the motivation you had to keep entertaining people like me C:

    Sorry I haven't commented on your last 2 posts :( I read them both multiple times, and I'll just say here that I really enjoyed them! c:

    ~popcorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Popcorn!! And thank you so much :')
      I'm more motivated some times than others, but this blog always brings me joy <3

      And no worries about commenting! I always love seeing what you have to say, but I'm definitely not keeping tabs on who does or doesn't comment haha

      Delete
  2. I love creating looks for my animals, I remember my koala looked like angel from lilo and stitch, but I deleted it to free up space. My tiger looks like a white tiger now and my wolf looks like a princess in playwild. I am going to make a post about aj outfits ideas soon.
    -princess brightstar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite things about AJ has always been how much you can customize your animal even while nonmember. When I joined AJ, a lot of the other kids MMOs I played were pretty limited in customization so the fact that AJ would let you customize patterns and eye shape was just amazing to me lol

      And that's a fun idea for a post, I'd love to read it! :D

      Delete
    2. @princess Sorry I can't publish the comment you sent yesterday because of cursing in the link, but don't worry I'll report them!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is amazing! And yes, I would always want to look like a Falling Phantoms bot and this post is the perfect tool to help me do so. My favorite part is how there is still some choice involved but it's still completely randomized. I'll give this a shot once I number the play wild color combos.

    I'm kind of in awe at how you thought of this and came up with all the equations :0

    Also, happy 9 years!!! Congrats, that's a HUGE achievement - I really admire your dedication to this blog :D

    On a completely unrelated side note, the graphics in this are edited really well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you enjoyed, Wild! <3
      The hardest part was the first equation– I had to figure out the longest/shortest animal names and usernames possible, so the person with the shortest combination would get color 1, the longest combination color 50, etc. :0

      Thank you so much!! ;-; That really means a lot to me :')

      And I'm glad you like the graphics too! I've mentioned it before, but Mac Preview is surprisingly good for making things transparent. Maybe even easier than photoshop, to be honest :O

      Delete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^