Thursday, February 3, 2022

Layout Testing Part 2 – A Transparent Teacup

Hey Jammers! It's February again– month of the Lunar New Year, the Friendship Festival on AJ, and the month that will mark another year since I first set paw in the world of Jamaa. (AAA I know that wording sounds cheesy– but ya know what, I'm gonna leave it in there. Because it's happy)

Ideally, I'd host some kind of a contest or raffle for the 17th, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get around to that, mostly because I don't have many interesting items to give away. Hmm...

Would any of you be interested in a contest/raffle that didn't involve item prizes? I could draw something for whoever ends up being the winners– perhaps an OC, the winner's animal, or something like a custom Masterpiece? I'm sure I still got some MP tokens lying around here... 

Let me know in the comments what kind of thing you might be interested in this month! C:

–––

Redesigning my blog has been a fun and relaxing process for me, but I know the next part of this post where I talk about it might be a bit boring to you. Nonetheless, some content is better than no content, so here it is:


That slightly blurry green-ish block thing on my layout test blog is my new coding victory– I've figured out how to put an image behind each post's date header. That green thing is a test image!

I'm not sure where the idea came from, but I was thinking that each post should have a lil teacup on top of it.

And after searching Jamaa, I found the perfect teacup:


This one.

What's also good about it is that it's naturally pixelated, so it was much easier to erase its background.

One issue, though:


Ignoring the positioning (which I know how to fix) the teacup at its normal size looks just blurry enough on the test blog to annoy the perfectionist part of me.

Something I've learned is that it's good to create your drawings/graphics at a size at least 2x bigger than how you want to display them. That helps minimize the fuzziness. 

So I opened the original screenshot in GIMP, zoomed in 4x:


(Somehow, increasing the actual size of the image in GIMP made it blurry, but zooming in on it didn't..)

After going ahead and covering the overlapping machine part with a hard pixel brush, I used GIMP's convenient color-select tool to erase the rest of the background.


Then I filled the layer behind it with bright green. Because increasing the actual image size would make it blurry for some reason I don't know yet, I needed to screenshot the zoomed-in teacup and then erase the green.

Ta-da~

When I get around to it, I'll find a way to add this to my test layout in a way that looks cute. 

EDIT: Just realized it still has some white spaces around it, dang. Back to work, I guess...

Aaaaaand that's all the rambling for now! See you in Jamaa ^^

14 comments:

  1. Hey, yeah, happy almost-9-years of being on AJ!! I'm honestly fine with anything as prizes - I don't even need them - but if you feel like you need to, you're an awesome artist and art would be amazing!


    And the teacup is really cute!! I still would never have the patience to sit down and try to code (or read tutorials) so that's still very impressive :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I'm so glad you think so. I've been meaning to do more art, so I'd be happy to offer it.

      And actually... it's gonna be 10 years. (╥﹏╥)
      If AJ was a rock in the ocean, I'm like a lil barnacle that won't let go

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, a decade!!!!!! :OOO congrats!

      Don't worry... I can totally do math... I totally didn't forget that it's 2022 now... ahhahahah... yeah no I'm afraid I can't do subtraction guys

      Delete
  2. I would personally love art as a prize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have art as a contest prize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy ajversery!!! the teacup banner is a super cute idea (and i'd participate in a contest that doesn't have item prizes!)

    also, i think the white spaces around the teacup might just be a blogger preview thing, because when i clicked on it, the white spaces disappeared (i even downloaded the picture for good measure, still no white spaces)

    (also also, if you don't mind me doing a little self-promoting, i just posted a post about a very interesting new aj lore confirmation, thought you might be interested!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And whew, I'm glad the white spaces aren't actually there. That had me confused for a hot minute– I never thought to click on it on the post lol

      And I just read your post– thanks so much for letting me know! It's so cool that we're still learning more things about the lore at this point in AJ history

      [Anyone else who's reading this comment– go check out jrl's post!! ^^^]

      Delete
    2. I have no idea what's up, but jrl's blog is the only one which isn't loading - Vai's, Doomy's, Popcorn's, Rainbow's, and my own are all fine, but even after restarting my computer it refuses to load jrl's blog :(

      Delete
    3. I actually had a similar issue! jrl's blog did load, but it took longer than usual. I'm not sure why D:

      Delete
    4. aww man :( yeah, i had noticed that sometimes it took a while for my blog to load, but it never didn't load for me

      hopefully i can fix that problem somehow!

      Delete
    5. my original reply of "huh weird it takes a while to load for me idk why it's doing that" hasn't been published yet but i think i fixed it! it's loading faster for me, and hopefully for you guys now too

      Delete
  5. Happy AJ-versary, Doomy!! :D
    It's been a decade - that's impressive dedication, honestly. Thanks for always being here in this tiny, awesome, hilarious corner of the AJ community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wild! Thank YOU for being a part of this lil community too! And you're right– we are indeed hilarious X)

      Delete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^