Friday, June 29, 2018

Nonmember by Choice

Hey Jammers! This will be a bit of a shorter post, as I have stuff to do today, but I still hope you'll still find it at least a little interesting.
So, contrary to what some of you might think from the images on my blog, I'm actually nonmember. I've chosen to be nonmember for the majority of my time on this game.

The screenshot in my signature image and on the left sidebar was from around 2012-2013 when I was starting this blog. 


This was my panda's main look during that time. 

Visually, I still like it, but I associate it more with blogging about AJ than playing AJ, which is why I use it as my blog avatar but don't play as it. It sounds weird, but hear me out.

A few years ago, I'd say that my favorite part of Animal Jam was the level of customization– instead of just picking one color for one animal like on Club Penguin or something, you can pick animal type, eye color, eye shape, pattern color, pattern shape.... 

That's still a big part of why I like AJ, but only recently I've realized that there's something else that keeps me coming back after all these years.


It's the aesthetic.

I love Animal Jam artistically. I love how the lands look. I love the dusty, earthy, vibrant, naturally textured style of stuff that has both left AJ and carried on from beta to the present day. I love the jungle-y and somehow mysterious "energy" it can evoke.

That's why I get so annoyed when stuff changes lol








I'm not gonna say it's just nostalgia (even though it reminds me a lot of the older Nat Geo educational VHS videos I used to watch). I simply love how it looks, and it's important to me.

So, back to the member/nonmember thing. I associate a lot of sparkly/"elite" stuff with membership– the name tags, the gold lock on member items, diamonds, etc. That glitz kinda goes counter to what I love most about AJ's style, so I can do without it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Figuring out how certain kinds of colors and textures make me feel has been really important in developing my own art style. I barely post any of my art here, mostly because it's rarely Animal Jam related and I usually regret putting my flawed work on the internet, but I'm really motivated to draw this summer so maybe that will change. 

Aside from artistic stuff, I don't like "maxing out" on video games anymore. On Animal Jam, I routinely recycle or giveaway items I don't want because I don't like having a lot of stuff. 

On a farming game I play (Stardew Valley), I strategically avoid upgrading my tools and only harvest the bare minimum amount of crops so I never make a huge profit. I don't like big numbers. XD

You can probably see my mentality in my AJ currency challenges. So yeah, this explains that!

I guess I use computer games to make myself feel organized because in reality it's hard to keep things neat lol

Hmm... so... what do you think about this? Why do you play AJ? Why are you member/nonmember?

Peace~


6 comments:

  1. Woah! Never knew someone still blogged! I'll be sure to watch this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psst... also check out The Animal Jam Lake Blog by q1zx... you'd be amazed XD

      Delete
  2. Very explainatory Doomy! I actually find it kinda fun to be a nonmember once a membership has run out. Random question, what other games do you play besides animal jam? Also do you know any fun tycoon games, like with cities and farms and zoos and that sort of stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not actually that big of a gamer. I mostly just play Animal Jam and Stardew Valley lol

      Stardew Valley is not necessarily a tycoon game, but you can play it that way if you want. You play as a new farmer moving to a small town to make money and interact and improve friendships with the various NPCs.

      The most notable things about Stardew Valley include:
      -it was developed by one dude over the course of many years, so it's clearly a labor of love.
      -there is a MASSIVE amount of content to be discovered– if you play, I recommend you don't use the Wiki and figure it out for yourself. :D
      -the game is visually beautiful. It's 2D pixel-style, a lot like Terraria, and it is adorable.

      I think you should try it if that sales pitch sounds interesting lol

      Delete
  3. I agree about the main look thing, I never play as my 'main look' bunny even when I'm nm, but I still use it for my.. I guess account mascot? (Even though its more of my fox but ehhh XDD) I always find it fun when my membership runs out, and even though I've gotten membership many times, I find it thrilling when I get it again (I'm not a gamer either, I stink at most games XDD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I only occasionally get minimal membership (like once a year) just so I can spend a month making Masterpieces. I was so happy during the 2017 Jamaalidays when two Masterpiece Tokens were given out in the advent calendar! I think I'll use one for my contest, and the other for... idk XD

      Delete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^