Friday, August 9, 2019

An Original New Animal + a Trade offer

Hey Jammers! This Wild Weekend isn't as cool as ones we've had in the past, but I thought I'd just feature the couple of items I think are cool.

But this wasn't just a Wild Weekend– it was a full-on update! And the main star of this update is...


Baron Brightfire, the amazing camel!

I have to say that this camel design isn't too bad– I suspected it would be an obvious edit of the llama, so let's compare their designs:


Aaaand they're completely different! Props to you, AJHQ, for making an 100% original animal that genuinely looks like the real-life version :')

On a side note, when I was looking at pictures of llamas, something occurred to me:


The llama Alpha is named Andy. Why, you may ask?


Because llamas are native to the Andes mountains!!!

I wonder if there's any story behind the shark Alpha being named Drake... hmm

As promised, here are the couple of items from the Juno Wild Weekend that I think are worthwhile:


I like them both because they have that rough-around-the-edges style of AJ items that I've been missing in recent years. I think the mural in particular is more interesting than some of the other Juno furniture items because it's more lore-focused than simple and decorative.

Moving on, National Honeybee Day is also coming up:


I'm not sure if these fun facts are the same that they've always been, but it's good to have them nonetheless.

Something that not a lot of people realize, though, is that the bees that are most in trouble in America due to pesticides and habitat destruction are native bees, many of whom do not necessarily produce honey.

Let me introduce you to diadasia envata, also known as the sunflower bee:


Unlike honeybees, which are actually native to Europe, the sunflower bee is native to North and Central America– this means that they have evolved alongside other native American plants and animals for a much longer time (hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years) than honeybees. 

And unlike the honeybees, who are generalists who will drink nectar from and pollinate just about any flower, the sunflower bee will only be found where there are sunflowers. Those are their absolute favorite flowers, and though I think they can also forage off of other flowers, they cannot exist without sunflowers. 

As you can imagine, honeybees have an easier time thriving in an America where native plant ecosystems are becoming scarcer and scarcer. They don't depend on any specific flower.

However, native American bees like sunflower bees depend on native American plants, which are losing habitat fast to human buildings.

Here's something you can do if you want to help these bees: 
typical garden flowers like tiger lilies or hydrangea are not native, and therefore cannot feed native bees (they just can't digest their nectar because they haven't evolved long enough alongside them). 
However, if you have any space at all to plant flowers, you can use plant databases like wildflower.org to see what flowers are native to your region. If you plant those, you can attract and feed native pollinators! 

I have a small garden of native plants that does just that, and you can't imagine the difference in wildlife I've seen since I started it three years ago. Maybe I should post a photo sometime :P

Before I go, one last thing:


I don't normally do this, but I've been searching for a long time and I just can't find it. If you have a blue Rectangular Coffee Table (image above ^), I am willing to trade some or all of the items below for it:


The green Rectangular Coffee Table I have is worth just the same amount as the blue one I'm looking for, but it's been so hard to find this item that I am willing to overpay my entire list for one.

Comment if you're interested!

Ok, time to keep working on my blog's header. See you in Jamaa!

5 comments:

  1. I personally think that the head of the camel was photoshopped on from the llama, but just edited minorly, the camels are okay in my opinion... The Juno items look kinda cool.
    That’s good to learn about bees! We need bees to live and bees need us to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't personally get a camel, but I think any new animal that isn't an obvious edit is a good sign.

      And I agree, Violet– humans and bees, we're all in this together :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't had much time lately to play AJ for longer periods of time, but if u told me a time (and time zone) that you were gonna be online, I think I could make it! Just sent you a buddy request

    And yes, I have heard. It's a disturbing truth that most (if not all) animals that go extinct from human causes were killed directly or indirectly to make humans money. I was just reading an article about the reasons why there are less than 19 vaquita in the world– they are caught in nets meant to catch another kind of fish, which are sold on the black market. It's horrible that peoples' desire to get rich gets in the way of basic compassion and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ackkk not Vaquitas! I didn't know they were porpoises before but I love marine animal life like whales and seals. We can't lose these. There are only about 76 southern resident killers left in Canada:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Difficult is that 6 PM or 6 AM CDT? I could do either, really-- just wanna make sure

    @Violet I know, it's a horrible problem that isn't talked enough :(

    ReplyDelete

Heyyo! I love it when you guys comment. I'm always checking for more, so even if you comment on an older post I'll definitely see it and try to respond. :)

Before you comment, of course, here are some basic things to remember:

-Don't be mean on purpose.
-Keep the comments appropriate for all ages. This is an Animal Jam blog.
-No spam, please! That means no comments just saying "buddy me im animaljam123" or "hi", just add a little more than that.
-Rants/long comments totally encouraged! You don't have to apologize for a long comment, I love reading them xD

-*NEW!* Please be safe about the personal information you share here, and on the internet in general. Just like AJ's in-game safety guidelines, don't share your real name, photos of yourself, phone number, address, email, or age. Always turn to a trusted adult if you're unsure about something.

Pretty easy rules. Nothing to stress about. As long as you follow them, you can say whatever you want!

Thanks for reading! C(o.o)D

P.S. That's a bear emoticon up there. ^